Friday, July 27, 2007

My weakness..Procrastination

I am the queen of procrastination..
I am so good at procrastinating that I have even done a study about it, when I
probably should have been doing something that was very urgent and important!
I heard the word "procrastination" for the first time during an English test in high school - and was immediately fascinated by it. I should have realised that THAT was the moment when my love/hate relationship with the word started. Ever since then, procrastination has become an integral (negative) part of my life. I see it as one of the most severe symptoms of a perfectionist driven personality. It has caused me pain, embarrassment, made me cringe and has driven me to tears several times. I believe it to be the essence of a dark side of my personality.
I have very little control over it. I try to control it and sometimes for a fleeting moment I believe that I got it right - just to find another unfinished list hidden somewhere..
Some days I try to fight it with humor:
PROCRASTINATE NOW! - don't put it off!
PROCRASTINATION IS THE BAD HABIT OF PUTTING OFF UNTIL THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW WHAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN DONE THE DAY BEFORE YESTERDAY!
PROCRASTINATE NOW!
Don't put off 'till tomorrow what you can put off 'till the day after!
I have a huge sign in my office that says:
DO IT NOW!!!
(I just don't notice the sign anymore!!:-))
Underneath the sign is an attempt to cure my "disease"-
GET GOING - Ralph Marston
Don't let all the things you need to do get in the way of all that you're able to get done. Instead of worrying that it won't all get finished, get busy doing it.
Do yourself a favor and put yourself into action. Even if you don't get it all done today, you can certainly make significant progress.
When you let yourself become immobilized by the feeling of being overwhelmed, what happens? You end up becoming even more overwhelmed.
The way to break the cycle is to step forward and take action. Even when the task is enormous, you're much better off moving forward than standing still.
Look at each task not as a burden, but as an opportunity to make a positive difference. Look at each task not with resentment and resignation, but with an eager anticipation for getting it successfully behind you.
In an instant you can go from feeling overwhelmed to being in positive control. Get busy, and get life going your way.
It seems so simple. I wish it was. This weekend I still have to:
  • Remember to..
  • Finish doing..
  • Don't forget to..

Do you have a cure? Please remember to let me know!

Her Highness

The Queen of the Procrastination

1 comment:

RobC said...

I am the Lord Sith of procrastination, the supreme ruler of doing things that are fun instead of things that NEED to be done... so my advice is LISTS.
My problem is I put off making them! :-)