Friday, August 24, 2007

de Priester converted me..

The blurry photo is Jak de Priester with some of the Primary School Choirs in Bloemfontein.
Last night I dreaded going to another choir performance of my daughter's School's Junior Choir. Luckily some person realised that sitting and listening to choirs sing for 3 - 4 hours is sheer torture and does not promote ticket sales. Ticket sales are usually the parents that feel obliged to attend everything their children participate in - either because of feelings of guilt or real interest.. I fall into the guilt category. Anyways..
So there we sat for 1 and a half hour listening to choirs and ignoring our butts dying beneath us. And then... Just before we finally fell asleep, up comes Jak with his sparkling stage personality and stories that borders on-stand up comedy
and he makes us forget about the time and sore butts.
He was really good with the children and they loved performing with him.
My personal opinion of him has changed - my scepticism has changed to slight optimism, although I will still not buy his CD, not yet anyways, I believe that he has more talent than most Afrikaans up and coming artists who get by on their good looks and/or their six-packs..I know a couple that are totally useless without downing a six-pack or bottle before a show. Jak writes his own songs, songs that we average mortals can relate to and now that I know the background behind some of the songs - I actually enjoyed them.. What I enjoyed most was Jak's energy on stage..he does not stand still for one second - I really tried my best to get a photo that was not blurred but that seemed impossible. His energy also seemed contagious, because the audience was quickly woken up and soon were clapping and sometimes even singing with Jak.
Best of luck Jak - will be watching you.
Chris van der Westhuizen accompanied him, and BOY can he play a keyboard.
I found myself at times watching his performance more than Jak's..
What a brilliant musician!! (and handsome as well)..
We survived the evening and I saw a couple of faces in the audience that I know are not parents, so they must be FANS!! Up goes the ticket sales!
Now I hope that the next organiser of a choir festival takes note of this concert formula
and applies it in future..or I might just have to get over my feelings of guilt..but that's a story for another day.

1 comment:

RobC said...

Can I just say that you are doing a fine job as parent. B could not have a better mom.